There are so many different varieties of chili, but this white chicken chili might be my favorite. It’s super easy to make! Throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker, walk away and let it cook. It’s creamy and full of spice, makes for that perfect dinner on a chilly night.
What you’ll need to make white chicken chili:
Shredded Chicken: I love using rotisserie chicken to make this white chicken chili. It saves time and adds some additional flavor. If you don’t have rotisserie chicken on hand, you can cook a couple of chicken breasts or thighs and shred them.
Chicken Broth: This will be the liquid base of the chili. I typically look for low/lower sodium chicken broth. This adds great flavor to the chili. If you don’t have chicken broth you can use a mixture of water and chicken or vegetable bullion.
Beans: “Beans beans the magical fruit” remember that as a kid? Beans are not a fruit but they are magical! They are loaded with fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals! You can use Cannellini or Great Northern beans or a can of each.
Onion: When chopping your own onion make sure the pieces are pretty much the same size. This will ensure they cook evenly. I love using my Vidalia chop wizard for this step of the recipe.
Jalapeno: Remove the seeds, membranes, and stems and finely chop them. They can be left out if you would prefer a milder chili.
Garlic: This will add more delicious flavor to the chili. I like to use my garlic press for this step of the recipe.
Green Chilies: The green chilies add some flavor to the chili.
Corn Kernels: Fresh or frozen corn kernels will work. They add some color, sweetness and crunch to the chili.
Lime: The squeeze of lime is as good as a dash of salt in bringing out the flavor of the chili.
Spices: All the spices combined bring a Smokey, spicy, southwest type of style flavor to the chili.
Cream Cheese: The secret ingredient. Cream cheese makes the chili a bit creamier and thicker.
Why I love this chili!
- Easy to Make
- Great for an appetizer or meal
- Cheap to make
- Simple Ingredients
- Slow Cooker
- 4 cups chicken shredded
- 4 cups low sodium broth vegetable or chicken
- 2 cans Great Northern beans 15-ounce can, or Cannellini
- 2 cans green chilies 4-ounce can
- 2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 jalapenos stem, seeds and membranes removed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 4 oz. low fat cream cheese softened
- Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped green onion
- Thinly sliced jalapeno
- Corn chips
- Corn bread
- Add shredded chicken to slow cooker.
- Top with seasonings.
- Add onion, garlic, beans, chilies, corn and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Add cream cheese and juice from a lime.
- Stir well and heat for another 15 minutes or until the cream cheese has dissolved.
- Serve and enjoy.