Chicken sweet potato nachos are perfect as a meal, side dish or football appetizer! Nice crispy sweet potatoes loaded with all the nacho goodness on top! Using homemade sweet potato chips as the base makes them extra tasty!
Plus they are entirely adaptable, use more or less of your favorite veggies, beans and cheese, and use mostly pantry ingredients so you can decide make them last minute!
Let’s start with the homemade sweet potato chips… so easy and so good!
A must try if you like sweet potatoes at all!
- slice sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices — try to make them as similar in thickness as possible to make baking easier
- drizzle with olive oil
- sprinkle with spices
- give everything a good stir
- and bake to crispy perfection!
CAN YOU EAT SWEET POTATO SKIN?
Yes, you can definitely eat sweet potato skin! In fact, the skin is really good for you. Sweet potatoes themselves are packed with nutrients; vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, fiber, and many other vitamins and minerals.
What you need to make sheet pan sweet potato nachos + substitutions:
- Sweet potatoes – You can obviously just use chips here if you’d like which we totally do! Sometimes it’s fun to change it up to sweet potatoes and honestly they taste so good. You can do them in the air fryer if you have one or roast them in the oven!
- Chicken – You can cook your own chicken and then chop it or shred it. Rotisserie chicken makes it much easier and the route I usually take. Feel free to swap out the chicken for ground taco turkey/beef or leave the meat out completely.
- Corn – You can use frozen thawed corn or canned corn. Both work!
- Beans – Pinto beans, black beans use which ever you like! We prefer black beans in our house, packed with protein and fiber.
- Bell Peppers – Any color will work for this recipe but I typically add orange to add more color to the plate!
- Tomatoes – Cherry or grape will work.
- Mexican cheese – It’s kind of required for nachos! We used shredded Mexican cheese.
- Olives – My husband does not like olives at all, I love them! So they get added to our nachos! He can pick around them. Olives add such a good flavor to just about every dish.
- Jalapeños – Another dislike for my husband but a love for me! Give me all the spicy food please. Another pick around food for my husband.
- Cilantro – Everyone is different on cilantro. Some people love it, some hate it. We are in the love it camp, so we load it on!
- Lime – A little drizzle of lime really brings these chicken sweet potato nachos together.
- Avocado – You could also use guacamole if you prefer, but we cubed up some avocado for this one!
- Additional toppings (optional) – Salsa, plain Greek yogurt (replacement for sour cream), scallions, red onions.
Chicken Sweet Potato Nachos
Sweet Potato Chips
- 3 medium sweet potatoes sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ¾ cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup bell pepper orange, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup Mexican cheese shredded
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- 2 jalapeno sliced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1 lime sliced
- 1 avocado diced
Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place parchment paper on two baking sheets (the sweet potatoes will shrink as they cook and end up being only on one baking sheet). Spray with cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes in large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix until sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little space between them so that they don't touch
- Bake sweet potatoes for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Gently turn chips over. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until just turning crisp. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and combine them onto one pan. Push them towards the middle to make a close pile.
- Remove nachos from oven. Top with chicken, corn. black beans, bell peppers and cheese.
- Place back in oven at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove and add additional toppings: black olives, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, avocado, limes, etc.